Monday, May 7, 2012

Dirt Cheap Gold




Like every young adult, I had dreams, I had ambitions, I wanted to get my life right as early as possible and I knew it was not going to come cheap. 

I set out like an athlete not setting off on my own , but subscribing to be coached so I could stand on the steady shoulders of those that had gone before before and obviously knew better than my green self. It was only wise for me to look up to those I believed knew better than myself; the billionaires, the millionaires, the create success stories of dreamers who became winners.  I became an avid reader of inspirational books and biographies of those whose lives and achievements i envied.



It was not much task for me as I thouroughly enjoyed being pumped up on motivation, but there was a problem. These men and women had different stories to tell. While there were reoccuring themes to what they attributed their success to, it was no doubt they all rose from different circumstances.

I pondered on the many success stories and motivational books I have read and wondered, " Is there a silver bullet that anyone can use regardless of race, background, circumstances, personality and limitations? "

What I discovered was not a silver bullet, I guess you would think it must be something better perhaps a gold or platinum bullet. No, it was dirt, cheap good old dirt. The dirt be trod upon with no second thoughts, the dirt anyone and everyone could get so much that we never think about it twice.
 
I was busy looking for precious metals out there in space, while all I was looking for has been with me, untapped, unexhausted. I trusted these billionares to tell me something new, something extraordinary, but all was the same good old dirt I had recieved from my humble parents.


We ignore the simple things in life and go in search of the most complex and sophisticated sounding principles only to end up entagling ourselves in confussion. Little wonder despite reading all the motivational books possible in a lifetime, many still never achieve the success they desire because they left the little things and pursued sophistication and granduer, forgetting that from the humble dust everything magnificient came forth.
 
Indeed, we must take a purse and remember the little things; to be kind, to be honest, to be hard working, to be humble, to be thougthful and to be true to ourselves. We dont need motivational books to know these things, we just never took them serious because they seem so ordinary. We had always known these principles, but we go insearch of mirrors and smokes.


 
After so many successes and failures, growing old has thought me to value the little things the most, because from them are all complexities built. The joy and satisfaction that I experience when I live by foundamentals has is one I never had living on the fast lane of sophistications and reckless ambition. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, life can be wonderful but only if you find yourself out of that deep dark depression.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you.